Sunday, April 24, 2011

Smoked Chicken Lasagna

It's time to step outside the "normal" smoked/grilled meats and get a little fancier... 

I got this idea from a pellet cooking forum Pelletheads, tweaked it a little, and decided to go for it.   I started with some chicken thighs which I skinned, boned and trimmed.  They were then seasoned with oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and EVOO and smoked for about an hour and then finished on high heat on the grill. I sauteed some mushrooms and created a "blush sauce" which was a tomato based sauce mixed with an alfredo sauce.  Mushrooms and smoked chicken were one layer. A mix of ricotta, mozzarella, cream cheese, and cottage cheese was a layer. Then it was topped with more mozzarella, Parmesan, basil and parsley. 

The best part is this lasagna was assembled and then cooked on the PG1000.  I cooked it at 350 degrees covered for about an hour and then uncovered for 15-30 min.  

This lasagna had a great smoke flavor, with a very creamy, cheesey consistency.  It was honestly way better than I expected it to be.  I was afraid the chicken might not have enough smoke flavor to carry the dish, but I think cooking the lasagna on the smoker really added some additional smoke taste which was just perfect.  

I WILL be cooking this again!

2 lasagnas on the PG1000 

Almost done

First off the smoker

Side by side... 

Ready to dig in!

Served up

So it's really hard to take pictures of lasagna... trust me... it was good. Another WIN for the PG1000.  I'm pretty sure this grill can cook about anything.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... GORGEOUS lasagna, Jeff! What a great idea. That cream/tomato style sauce is really big in the Italian-American restaurants, although it isn't really Italian per se. I generally prepare my pasta sauces in a pan, building layers of flavor by searing vegetables first, adding herbs, ground peppers, etc, then some good tomatoes. I actually use a bit of the starchy pasta water after the pasta has cooked for at least five minutes. Finally, a splash of cream achieves that classic pink "blush" you used in your lasagna. ...Finish my pasta in the pan with the sauce and then plate with a grating of parmigiano reggiano. Anyway... great dish you have there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert... my sauce wasn't that fancy, but what you are describing sounds great!

    ReplyDelete