Friday, January 20, 2012

Everyone gets a chicken!!!

When we were in Branson last year, we took the kids to Dixie Stampede.  Part of the huge dinner that is served there included a Cornish Game Hen.  The kids liked the show... but also thought it was great getting their own chicken to eat.

I finally got around to cooking some Cornish Game Hens on the PG1000.  I brined and rubbed them with the same recipe I used in WIfe Says NO BARBEQUE THIS WEEKEND.  Hens went in the brine for about 2 hours, they then were rinsed and dried uncovered in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.  I then cooked them on the PG1000 at 225 degrees for about 30 minutes then increased the temp to 350 degrees until the breast was about 165 degrees and the thighs were around 175 degrees.  I also basted them every 30 minutes with some Parkay.

They had a nice garlic herb flavor with a mild smoke flavor.  Definitely will be cooking these again.

Cleaned and headed to the brine

Rubbed with the wet rub

After about 1 1/2 hours on the PG1000 

Finished 

Served up with Kelli's Roasted Broccoli, and Potatoes Au Gratin from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, those birds look great. I haven't done any for a long time. I'll have to try your method. Smokin Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! TNQ's brine and herb rub is pretty great on chicken. A nice break from traditional "BBQ" flavors.

    ReplyDelete