Friday, August 19, 2011

Chicken Breasts and Spaghetti Squash

Better late than never... I started this blog post about 3 weeks ago and never finished it!

There were some chicken breasts in the fridge... so I cooked them.  I hope my wife wasn't planning on using them for an upcoming meal...  They were first brined for about 4 hours in a new product called "Grill" from Butcher BBQ.  Then rubbed and tossed on the indirect portion of the PG1000 at about 300 degrees.  I cooked them indirect until they reached about 150 degrees internal temp then I tossed them over on the direct grate to take them up to about 165 degrees.  turned out really moist and flavorful.  Needless to say,  I will be brining breasts in the future.

I had honestly never heard of spaghetti squash... Thanks to Suzanne for both informing me on the beauty of the spaghetti squash, and donating one for me to grill. I halved the squash and cleaned out the seeds.  Seasoned with a little salt and pepper and cooked indirect with the chicken at 300 degrees.  When the chicken was moved direct I moved the squash over as well.  I ended up cooking the squash about 20 minutes longer than the chicken until it was soft.   The "noodles" of the squash were excellent.  It had a vegetable/pasta type taste with a little more "crunch" than pasta.  It was quite tasty, and at 40 calories per cup you can't beat it! (Well 40 calories per cup BEFORE I added a bunch of butter!)

Breasts in the brine

Spaghetti Squash

Squash halved cleaned and ready to cook

Chicken and squash on the PG1000

Finished chicken

Squash coming off the grill, prior to scraping it into "noodles"

Spaghetti Squash "Noodles"

Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment