Monday, July 11, 2011

Sausage Stuffed Pork Chops

I was traveling about a week ago and picked up an electronic copy of Myron Mixon's Smokin'.  Myron Mixon is the self-proclaimed "Winningest Man in Barbecue"... and he's got the goods (trophies and cash) to back it up.  So love him or hate him... the boy can cook.

One of the recipes that looked really good was sausage stuffed pork chops. So here we go...

I marinated/brined the chops in Myron Mixon's Hog Injection (recipe is in his book). 

I cut a pocket in the pork chops  

Then stuffed with sausage...

... and secured with toothpicks

Rubbed with BBQ rub and put in an aluminum pan to cook

I cooked these on the PG1000 with some chicken thighs I was experimenting with.  The small pans are glazes for the chicken and pork 

After cooking on the grill at 300 degrees for about 1 hour... getting ready to glaze...
Forgot to take a "glaze" picture


Finished Product (the little brown nugget is one of the chicken thighs)



The chops turned out really good.  Chops are really lean and tend to dry out when cooking, but the sausage adds a little fat and promotes moisture etc.  Only thing I would change is I would use a less spicy sausage.  The rub and glaze used in this recipe have plenty of spice and the spice in the sausage was a little too much/overbearing.  Will I cook this again?  Heck yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment